Note: STEP does not replace Orientation. EOP highly encourages all students to attend freshman orientation. For more information about Orientation sessions please visit the Orientation programs website.
The Summer Transitional Enrichment Program (STEP) is a one-week summer residential program for incoming frosh students in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). The purpose of STEP is to facilitate the transition of EOP students to UCSB. During STEP students receive an introduction to college-level courses and course work. Workshops, lectures and other programs provide opportunities for students to learn outside the classroom. Students discover ways to enrich their college experience and cultivate a sense of belonging to the UCSB community.
- Be among a select few incoming EOP frosh students to stay on campus before the fall quarter begins and become familiar with the university.
- Visit campus departments: Financial Aid, Career Services, Student Health, and more
- Live in a UCSB Residence Hall and eat in the dining commons.
- Learn about UCSB coursework and professor expectations by taking introductory courses with specialized math and writing instruction.
- Connect with other EOP first year students to build your social network before Fall begins.
- Meet various UCSB staff members, including EOP counselors, to foster relationships on campus and help create your own support network.