STEP 2023 Program Dates: August 26 - September 2, 2023
Apply Here! Application Opens May 1, 2023.
Priority Deadline: June 1, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
Note: In order to access the application, you must log in using your @ucsb.edu email address.
STEP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The Summer Transitional Enrichment Program (STEP) is a summer residential program for incoming first-year students in the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP). The purpose of STEP is to facilitate the transition of EOP students to UCSB. The STEP student staff serve as mentors to participants and are able to answer questions from a current student's point of view. During STEP, students receive an introduction to college-level coursework. Workshops, lectures, and other programs provide opportunities for students to learn outside the classroom. Students discover ways to enrich their college experience and cultivate a sense of belonging to the UCSB community.
- Be among a select number of EOP first-year students to stay on campus and connect with the campus community before the fall quarter begins
- Familiarize yourself with the university and its resources.
- Visit campus departments: Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, Career Services, Student Health, and more (in-person and virtually).
- Live in a UCSB residence hall and eat in the dining halls.
- Learn about UCSB coursework and professor expectations by taking introductory courses with specialized writing instruction (courses not graded/not for credit).
- Connect with other EOP first-year students to build your social network before the fall quarter begins.
- Meet various UCSB staff members, including EOP counselors, to foster relationships on campus to help create your own network of support.